The best thing which can happen this morning is that one person from Pittsburg has contacted me mentioning that he has seen my slides on http://slideshare.net (All BarCamp Bangalore 2 presentations can be found under the Tag heading "barcampbangalore2"). I am so very happy this morning to be a part of this exciting camp.
There are quite a good number of interesting sessions today and will try to give my best shot to provide as much information as I can when I attend sessions…
WiMax - Sujai
· According to DoT, there are 1.2 Million Broadband users in India (~1.2% of total population)
· Only 4 Million subscribers can go DSL because of various concerns.
· WiMax makes sense because people can get Wireless without Broadband. This is also inexpensive.
· WiMax is rapidly picking up. There are many organization pitching in for WiMax because of many advantages.
· WiMax comes on a WAN..
Sujai explains few myths about WiMax.
RFID - Short Distance
BlueTooth - Lot of hype, but we realized it fails in many situations.
WiFi - LAN, small area.
MAN - WiMax comes into picture.
GSM - 10-12 KM Radius.
· Sujai has shown a complete detailed slide on various frequencies.
· WiMax comes in various frequencies and various flavors.
· Timelines (A Bit old data)
○ 2006/7 - Deployment of Fixed "Outdoor" Wireless
○ 2008/9 - Fixed WiMax "Indoor"
○ 2009/10 - Mobile WiMax.
· Visit Sujai's presentation (he mentioned that he would put it up there) on http://slideshare.net (under Tag barcampbangalore2) . Its worth a visit.
Commute Easy - Car Pooling in Bangalore
www.CommuteEasy.com - is a website for a social cause. Like Bangalore, many other metros in India and over the world have real traffic problems.
This is a very good site, with a pure social cause and not-for-profit. There are already 2400 registered users and ~200 active car pool's through this site already!
What are you waiting for? Save fuel - Save Environment…..
SlideShare - Jon, CTO, SlideShare
http://slideshare.net - A common place to share and run your presentations online. Example, all the presentations at Bar Camp, Bangalore 2 are available on this site with the tag name
· You cannot currently download the presentations - SS is working on this.
· No Privacy - Do not post private/confidential presentations - SS is working on this.
Microfinance 2.0: How web 2.0 is helping to explore the Fortune at the Bottom - Siva Prasad
· Provided an insight into Dr. CKP's Pyramid.
· Size of a loan ranges from Rs.3000 - Rs.12,000.
· Without MF, clients pay from 50%-100% annualized interest rate (Money lender system)
· MFI's charge 12%-24%
· Repayment rates are above 99%.
· Agency for rating MFI - Example, http://www.m-cril.com/rating-microfinance-rating-methodology.html
Characteristics of Web 2.0
· An architecture of participation and democracy
· Users exercise control over the data
· Network as a platform
· Some social networking aspects
· A rich, interactive, user-friendly interface.
How Web 2.0 is useful for MF?
· Is a bridge for world wide fund investors and the beneficiary.
· Agents like Papal etc will help in mediating the money which is flowing to the MFI.
· The opportunity here is that instead of investing money in banks or financial institutions, Web can play a role in mediating and providing an opportunity for people to invest in Micro financing for better/equivalent returns.
· www.Kiva.org· www.fundable.org
PictureSquare.com - An initiative by 2 IIT Mumbai guys
This is similar to flickr or any other photo storing solutions.
Problem: How to connect back to home (India) with pictures - HardCopy... thats interesting.
USP: You can upload, share and print picutres which can be delivered home.
I think today really added value to my exposure. Definitely made new contacts and am waiting to see if I can be of help to anyone.
BarCamp Bangalore 2.0 is almost closing and am waiting for the BarCamp Bangalore 3.0